REGISTRATION FOR CHSSA IS NOW LIVE!
Complete all three registration parts by December 1, 2023 to avoid late fees. To be eligible to participate in league State Qualifiers in spring, schools must finish all three steps at least 2 weeks before the Qualifier start date.
Step 1: Complete
Download and print the CHSSA Registration Form below. Complete the form and obtain all appropriate coach and administrator signatures.
Step 2: Upload
Upload your completed registration form and answer all questions. We can accept PDFs, PNGs, or JPGs of your completed document.
Step 3: Payment
All schools must pay a $150 participation fee each year. You can pay online (preferred) or mail a check to our treasurer with verified delivery tracking.
In line with our mission to make speech and debate accessible to all, the California High School Speech Association is offering partial waivers of our annual $150 participation fee to qualifying schools. Applications must be received by November 1, 2023 at 5 PM PT.
The CHSSA Treasurer is working hard to track all payments and rollovers, to verify them against the schools who have submitted their registration documents. To check the status of your registration please click the link below, and carefully read the information at the top of the spreadsheet.
CHSSA AUGUST BOARD MEETING
The CHSSA August Board meeting held on August 19th
NFHS Topic Selection Committee
The NFHS Topic Selection Committee has narrowed the choices for the next national policy topic down to five choices. Click below to learn more, and submit your opinion for California’s representative to vote on the topic.
2023-24 Draft Allocations
The draft 2023-24 allocations for the State Tournament are now live. The review window closes on September 30, 2023. Please contact your league president or area chair for any discrepancies in these allocations.
Rules and Regulations
The Rules and Regulations are the governing document for the California High School Speech Association. Each year, in September, the CHSSA Board of Directors votes on amendments to the rules and regulations in order to create a document that maintains the intent, and desires of the association. October first the final rules and regulations for the school year are released. No changes may be made to the by-laws past this point, and the document remains in effect for the duration of the school year.
- Article I: Finances
- Article II: Elections/Meetings
- Article III: Duties
- Article IV: Committees
- Article V: Leagues
- Article VI: Hall of Fame
- Article VII: The State Tournament - Qualification and Eligibility
- Article VIII: The State Tournament - Events
- Article IX: The State Tournament - Individual Event Rules
- Article X: The State Tournament - Individual Events Tabulation
- Article XI: The State Tournament - Debate Rules
- Article XII: The State Tournament - Debate Tabulation
- Article XIII: The State Tournament - Congress Rules and Tabulation
- Article XIV: The State Tournament - Administration
- Article XV: Grievance Procedure
- Article XVI: Initiative and Referendum Process
- Article XVII: Amendments to Rules and Regulations
- Article XVIII: Policy Against Harassment